March 2023 Meeting Notes

DATE:       Monday, March 27, 2023                             TIME:  7 pm

PLACE:  Meeting took place at the Colonial House in Freedom

President Tom Hockers called the meeting to order a 7:00 pm

Secretary’s Report: Secretary’s Report has been posted on our website: www. . Clint Smith asked if there are any additions and/or corrections recommended to the Secretary’s Report. If so, please raise your hand or  e-mail Secretary Clint Smith at

Motion to accept made by Larry MacArthur . The motion was seconded. No objections were made and the motion passed.

Marty Nussbaum provided the Treasurer’s financial report. Please see Marty for specific details on numbers. Motion to accept made by Hank Calmes.  The motion was seconded. No objections were made and the motion passed.


  • Order of Events: This will be read off at the April meeting, as well as the practice

session running order. Will share with reps for any major changes.

  • 2023 FRRC Employees: All employees we wish to hire will be contacted between  

this meeting and the April meeting. We will meet with all employees before the

April meeting at 6pm at Colonial House on 4/24/2023.

  • Containers: railings and steps updates: will have more info. next meeting.
  • Nightly sponsor updates (Sarah provided a listing which Tom read off open nights of May 25th June 1st and August 3rd) Please contact Sarah directly with any leads. Schedule will be updated and posted soon.
  • Fire Extinguishers in cars update: Ed and Tom went to POWAR meeting and brought this up. Any car with a v8 has to have one and any ½ mile car should have fire suppression system in it. (This was from K and K Insurance). Sizes should be listed in each division’s rules. Therefore, we will continue to require this as we have done in the past.  
  • Clarification on membership forms: If you don’t have any updates on direct deposit form, you still have to fill out the bottom of the form
  • Contract update: It has been signed.


  • Audit Committee update: Update from Larry: There is a file of Judi’s they are struggling to open and she is on vacation. We will have an update by next month. Larry suggested we do this 2 x a year moving forward.
  • Read off bylaw changes: we will read them off again in April and vote after they have been read 2 times. Please see Clint for specifics. (omitting the letter being sent to a resigning officer; Adding in that driver must pay the entry fee for every division they are competing in; Accounting-remove bills being paid by check have 2 signature of officers on all checks; We don’t have petty cash anymore, so removing that verbiage; Bylaws will be reviewed by election, re-election and APPOINTMENT of a new President); Scott VH also brought up that it was previously requested  to Omit Article V Section 5; After brief discussion it was decided to leave it in there but replace “will” with “may”)
  • R/W/B suggested changes (meeting with SLM after this meeting) Please bring any other issues to officers via e-mail or call as we will all be busy in this meeting. (possibly twin 25’s or 33’s ?? )
  • Major vs Minor violations: Jason Shultz will make the final call. He will be the Tech Director. If you disagree, your only recourse will be an appeal to the BOD.
  • ALL drivers must attend driver’s meeting or have a rep. if fast time, etc. Sport trucks have their own meeting, but they still need to have a DIVISION rep. there. All drivers in other divisions must attend a meeting (Inner or outer).  
  • Rovals discussion on safety of track vs doing a kidney bean track. K and K Insurance guy Steve Sinclair mentioned that we are the only track that does a different layout besides just running a normal oval with 6 cylinder cars. Tom mentioned that this is supposed to be a beginner’s class for high school kids. 8 tracks are involved in HSRA, but mentioned they did not have room for us in 2023. Ed Howard suggested tabling this until a different night. Emery Beattie asked if the Figure Eights could run before the Rovals. Kurt suggested the division is a feeder for younger drivers. Trevor Howard mentioned it took 2 x sizzlin’4 drivers to get hurt before safety rules were changed. Officially TABLED.
  • Reduction of SLM lap count to 30 laps? Opened up a discussion and listened to feedback. Lots of feedback from SLM drivers that were not in favor of reduction in laps. Scott Vanden Heuvel suggested skipping or reducing hot laps if it is 60 degrees or hotter. Tabled until SLM meeting. 
  • Payment of earned prize money procedure update. We spoke to other tracks and they charge a $5 surcharge for issuing a check vs Direct Deposit. This will be our new procedure.
  • Track Tunes update: There is an app you can put on your phone which is free. Beaver Dam added this. Right now there is only a track radio station: BUD RADIO, but there is NOT an app for this.  Track tunes would transmit directly from the announcer and if fans had an ear bud and the app on their phone they could hear directly. We are looking for a sponsor to pay for this.
  • Hoosier updates for 2023 season. We should be better off than last year, but still not back to how it was. SLM- 4 first night and possibly some practice tires to start the season.
  • Possible age changes for Sport Trucks. Steve Sinclair (K and K Insurance) Suggesting keeping it at 14 year olds, unless under a certain cc engine then a 12 year old could run, which would only be Sport Trucks: do not fold waivers EVER and have BOTH biological parents or legal guardian signed and notarized.


  • Dan Plutz mentioned that parents have to also prove their child’s date of birth to the Sport Trucks and asked if 2 FRRC Club Officers planned to sign those waivers or sign off on this. The officers would have specific rules (start in the back, prove they can get in and out of the truck, prove they have go kart experience, show up to practice session, etc.)
  • Mitch Opsahl asked about giving kids a ride around the track in a limo? Possibly something to tie into the kids club, but only if K and K Insurance is ok with it. To will check with our rep. Fred.
  • Question about riding in race cars for the anthem. We have to check with Insurance.
  • Taylor Vandermoss said August 9th T-rats race night: Please try to bring cars.
  • Age questions about 12 year olds? We will create some guidelines that need to be followed.
  • We will put the correct waiver/release form posted on the website when we get it from Danny and K and K Insurance.
  • Trevor Howard asked if tech inspectors should be working on race cars. Tom felt this should not be occurring. It will be addressed at the employees meeting.
  • May 11th is the Pit party…we REALLY want to push this and get as many cars as we can. Danny said we could do some Big Wheel races, etc. possibly a Monster Truck.

Motion made to adjourn by  Rob Thomson. The motion was seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

President Tom Hockers adjourned the meeting at  8:14 pm           

Next meeting will be Monday,   April 24th at Colonial House at 7pm, with the employees meeting at 6pm